In Family Law, We Have Done It All


Washington State Modification Lawyers

The law recognizes that people’s circumstances can change after a divorce is finalized. Accordingly, people are able to modify most orders dealing with custody, support, and visitation. At Anderson, Fields & McIlwain, Inc., P.S., our Seattle lawyers have been handling modifications of orders since 1977. We thoroughly understand the modification process and its requirements. We also understand that final orders vary; we help clients understand the particulars of their judgment and how it may be modified.

Contact our law firm for assistance with a modification of an order after a divorce is finalized. When you meet with one of our attorneys, we will first help you review any stipulations affecting child support, child custody, and parenting plans. We will then be in a position to advise you about your ability to modify the orders or to fight a modification petition from your ex-spouse.

Our Seattle lawyers urge clients to become familiar with the provisions of their divorce decree before attempting to modify it. Call 206-905-4290 or toll-free 866-970-4558 to learn more about modifications.

In our more than 30 years of experience, our attorneys have handled all types of petitions for and defenses against modifications. In general, a modification will be granted by the court when there has been a substantial change in circumstances. We have worked on modifications requested because of:

  • Relocation
  • Desire of older children to spend more time with the non-custodial parent
  • Remarriage
  • Questions regarding the primary care parent’s ability to care for the children
  • Job loss
  • A better job
  • Disability or illness
  • Special needs of the child

Formalize a modification to protect yourself

We urge clients, even if they agree to a proposed change, to go through the proper channels when modifying any type of order. If they do not, they are creating a situation where it is hard to prove anything to a judge in the future. The change will not be enforceable, because there is nothing to enforce from a legal standpoint. Therefore, you should seek the advice of a family law attorney with experience working with modifications to be sure the change is legal and enforceable.

Protect yourself and your children by making sure that all changes to final orders are approved by the court. Contact the Seattle lawyers at Anderson, Fields & McIlwain, Inc., P.S. We understand the modification process. We will work hard to get you the results you need, whether you are proposing or fighting a change.