In Family Law, We Have Done It All


Washington State Relocation Lawyers

At Anderson, Fields & McIlwain, Inc., P.S., we have developed a special focus on relocations after a divorce. Our partner, Attorney H. Michael Finesilver (f/k/a Fields), participated on the panel that developed Washington law in this area. If you wish to relocate to another state with your child, or you are trying to oppose such a relocation, contact a law firm with a high level of knowledge.

When there is an existing parenting plan, the party wishing to move must give the other parent 60 days’ written notice. This gives the other party the opportunity to object or agree. The parent moving must show that the move is in the best interests of the child.

We have been helping parents with relocations as long as they have been allowed by Washington law. Call 206-905-4290 or toll-free 866-970-4558 to take advantage of our knowledge and experience.

Each of our lawyers represents either the mother or father in relocation matters. We understand the criteria used by the court to determine whether the move is in the best interests of the child. We also handle international relocations when one parent wishes to move the child out of the United States or has already moved the child. However, most of our cases involve mothers who wish to move nearer to their parents or siblings for the support they can receive from these relatives. We also see a number of cases arising from out-of-state job offers.

Even if the other parent has no objection to the relocation, the parties must have the relevant custody or visitation orders modified. This will cause the orders to remain enforceable. To learn more about the process of requesting or contesting a move away, contact our Seattle law firm where lawyers have been helping clients with relocations for as long as it has been part of Washington family law.